Monday, July 26, 2010

Showering (Written from the Road)

I thought about many things when I was driving to and from Alaska. Some of those thoughts were funny, maybe only to me though. Some of those thoughts were private and if I let them be, life changing. Some of those thoughts were about what I would write about for this blog. And for the last six days, I have been thinking about a shower. It’s been 8 days since water has touched the whole of my body. Why wouldn’t I want a shower, right? Except why do I? 
As Americans, we are so used to having a shower every day and I wonder why that is. As a child, Tris had a bath only once a week, on Sundays. When she got into high school, she bathed only one extra time a week. I remember taking hose showers after swimming at my grandmas or three of us at a time in the shower or bath at my mom’s sisters. There were 7 of us girls all together and only when we hit puberty did we get to shower alone, and only then just to wash our hair and body, no lolly gagging. 
Tris and I can smell each other, but it’s not offensive. I have watched people as she passes them to see if there is a wrinkle nose reaction, or worse, the inconspicuous nose cover or plug, but nothing. We ate at a sit down restaurant yesterday, after we crossed the border, and the waitress didn’t mouth breath or give any other indication that we were offensive. I am not arguing that we don’t smell, but I am arguing that the human body odor is not as gross as we have been taught to believe it is. 
So how often is often enough to shower? In the AZ winter, probably once a week is good enough. In the summer, once a day seems like it’s not enough. What’s a girl to do? 
UPDATE: Since we have been back, we have taken at least one shower a day, not to de-smell, but to cool off. It’s a huge waste of water, but it’s also a trade off. Run the A/C constantly or quickly cool down in a lukewarm shower. (Lukewarm because it doesn’t get any cooler in 115°F heat.) 

4 comments:

  1. We don't get to shower every day out here in the country...not near enough water. We're staying in a house with one sink and one toilet (not in the same room) and no tub or shower. I don't mind the not showering - but damn my hair gets greasy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. COME SWIM!! We cut down majorly on showering in the summer....and our house feels cooler when were wet from the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you stop telling me that i smell now? Pheromones can help us not make terrible mistakes in love and life. It's harder to do when everyone is washing them away and covering them up with synthetic impostors all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Scout, I have always loved the way you smell. Friend pheromones, if you will! Kepp stinkin' it up Homie!

    ReplyDelete