Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Adventures in Sprouting

As if I don't have enough to do with the end of the semester just 4 weeks away, I started sprouting alfalfa. I was in my local expensive store, you know the one, when I came across their home sprouting section. All I had to buy was the special lid with holes (it fits the wide mouth mason jars I recently acquired) and some seeds. Initial cost: $15. I have been soaking and rinsing since Sunday night and my sprouts are beginning to sprout! I am going to buy another lid and some different seeds today. I may actually be able to sell my sprouts at the farmers market this summer if I can master growing them!! Here are pictures of soaking and day two. They're boring, but the daily chronicle should be cool in the end!

Soaking


Day Two

2 comments:

  1. Fun! I am not sure if you know this, but you can buy white, plastic lids at most of the grocery stores next to the canning jars. Then you could just drill holes into the top of a few lids. It might work out to be cheaper. Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gabs! The lids are $4. The seeds are the expensive part. :( But I will check it out and see f I can do it any cheaper!! I miss you, btw!

    ReplyDelete