Thursday, July 7, 2011

Finally Home

Last week we moved into our new home in town. It's a two bedroom with a large living area and dining room and kitchen. I have been a cooking fiend since we moved in. I have energy, I feel alive! I have neighbors and a walking/hiking/running trail just across the street. I have friends and renewed ambition. I start school in the fall. NAU, environmental biology. I am ready to be done and move onto paying back all my loans. I shower almost every day. Not because I need to, but because I can. I'm sure that will ebb in a few more days.

I learned a lot about myself in the back country. First and foremost, I can always find a way to survive. No water, haul it in. No shower, whore bathe (baby-wipe wipe down). No room to cook, campfire. Cold, layer. Sad and bored, cry and make myself go to town. Get lost, reinvent myself. Need friends, get a job. Want something, make it happen.

Some other things I learned are that my friends love me, but they love plumbing equally. The boys are resilient. I actually enjoy washing dishes and cleaning house when it's not so much of a chore. Summers rock up here. There are many things I can do to make money besides working for someone else. Sometimes one small job can save a life. Or four. The internet is free at the library, why should I pay for it at home? And, I want to do something for my community; I'm just not sure what yet.

Tris has big news, too. She has been promoted to mechanic at the Harley-Davidson Proving Grounds. This is big, not only for personal growth, but because she is the first female mechanic they have ever had at the Proving Grounds. Way to go, Babe! It's probably the gayest job I can think of for her. She is excelling at her job, like only she can, ROCKET FAST! If you see her on the street sometime, shake that woman's hand! She is paving the way for other women to break into this very sexist world.

As for now, I am going to sign off. I am going to eat the vegan, wheat free, apple crisp I just made and enjoy the afternoon monsoon. I will be back sooner than later, with pictures of the new digs.

1 comment: