Monday, August 13, 2012

Fall Greens

I have been turning, working and enhancing the soil in our new fall greens plot for two days now. Let me tell you, nothing says sexy like the smell of rotting alpaca manure smeared all over your hands, legs, and feet!

I sowed seeds for peas, carrots, red lettuce, green lettuce, chard, kale, english breakfast radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, and celery.I think that's it. With the help of Jen at Native Plant and Seed, here in town, I chose all short season varieties. They are also organic and even some are heirloom, grown and harvested in Cornville, AZ. I will be plopping in a few herbs for pest protection later this week.

Here are a few pics from the soil amending fun!
Me turning the soil. Apparently, Tris needs to clean her camera lens. 


The soil is finally turned!
That's alpaca poop on my foot. 
The seeds have been sown. Notice that the rows are crooked? That's because I do nothing straight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment