Sunday, April 25, 2010

Finally! The New Garden is Planted

I know I have been talking about this mystery front yard garden for quite a while. I even started digging which is the hardest part. The plot is 7 feet by 5 feet. It was a feat digging it, but with much help from Number 3 and the neighbor boy, I separated the grass from the dirt and got it done. Then it sat there. Alone. A big grassless patch of land. The front yard's barren plot.

Not any more! Yesterday was my Saturday to do hab with my client and I thought, "What a great Earth Day project!" So the boys and I picked him up and brought him home! Sometimes I call him Number 4. The five of us turned the existing dirt, added blood meal, manure, mulch and some phosphates, then we turned all that under.

Then the planting began! We planted corn, sunflowers, watermelon, cantaloupe, zucchini and cucumbers. You can see that we have more room for at least four more gardens and that is just what I plan to do! (Gotta finish this semester first though!) In time for a mid-summer planting I will have another plot dedicated just to pumpkins, pie and carving. I should probably get to that digging soon, before it gets too hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment