Sunday, March 28, 2010

Making Butter-A Pictorial

Making butter is one of the easiest, most fun things I can think of to do for myself. So far, I haven't not been amazed when the whey starts to separate from the buttermilk. I'm a geek and I know it. All you need to start is cream. I used organic heavy whipping cream. Horizon Organics, I think. It really doesn't matter.

Step 1: Pour your cream into a mason jar with a proper fitting lid and shake.


Step 2: You will begin to see the whey and buttermilk separate. 


Step 3: Pour off the buttermilk. 


Step 4: Keep shaking and pouring until no more buttermilk can be shaken out. 


Step 5: Put in a bowl. I used an old Earth Balance container. Cover with COLD water. I used the cold side of the tap. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to smash the rest of the buttermilk out. Dump water and repeat until the water comes off clear. 


Step 6: If you want salted butter, add 1/3 to 1/2 a teaspoon to the butter and mix. Enjoy! 


Like I said. It's easy. Being sufficient doesn't always mean back breaking work, I promise. Now milking the cow might be a little harder. I will let you know when I get one to milk. This is something the kids can do and love. Just use smaller jars with less cream. I will someday post how to make easy aprons for your wee ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment