Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Perfect Sunday Morning

Number 3 came into our room this morning to snuggle at 6. The light was just starting to peak from the horizon in the east. Number 3 and I laid there and tried to be quiet so Tris could still sleep, but we only lasted about 45 minutes. We started whispering and T threw the blankets over her head, then the pillow. Number 3 suggested that maybe we should be quiet, so silence ensued. That didn't last very long. We finally decided to get up around seven and make some breakfast for everyone.

(Delicious Muffins)

We had to decide between making doughnuts, bagels or muffins. Number 3's choice was doughnuts, but that left me and Number 1 out. Number 1 can't have wheat and I am on a sugar hiatus. (It's a deal I made with Tris. I can have a new iPod if I stay off the sugar for two months.) With that in mind, I made the executive mom decision to make muffins. Oatmeal muffins to be exact. That way Number 1 could have a bowl of oatmeal while we ate muffins. I can make wheat-free ones, but he was still sleeping, so majority rules this time. (Mean Mommy!)

(Number 1 has not had his coffee yet.)

Number 2 and Number 3 helped me make the muffins. In all of my cookbooks, I could not find a decent recipe so I turned to Hillbilly Housewife. It's an old stand-by. I have it saved in my Homesteading folder in my bookmarks. According to Suzanne, the woman who owns the website, the focus of the site "is on low-cost, home-cooking from scratch." She has a bunch of meat recipes, but some really great time and money saving recipes I can use too. In this particular recipe, I substituted maple syrup for the sugar.

(Number 2 enjoying his hot chocolate.)

Yesterday at Goodwill, Number 2, Number 3 and I found these matching, blue, hand-made, mini mugs, perfect for little cups of tea or cocoa. With the muffins on the table and five butts in the seats, we buttered our warm muffins and drank our coffee and cocoa and enjoyed the quiet morning. Now after a harrowing experience with a vermin, I am listening to rain, the kids, the wash and the tap tap tap of my fingers on the keys, wishing T didn't have to work every Sunday.

(After 3 muffins, the kid had to be rolled out of the dining room.)

No comments:

Post a Comment